Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Memories of the BUD

What is the BUD?

BUD stands for Big Ugly Dish.  In 1990, My grandfather decided to get a BUD because there is more TV channels to watch between G1 - G5 on the C-Band. 

Where did We order the BUD

My grandfather ordered our satellite dish through the Stereo Den in Newmarket, Ontario.  The Stereo Den was our satellite dealer that my grandfather bought the receiver, the codes, and the dish.

The Channels

When you get a satellite dish, you will have to subscribe to many channels.  There are some channels that are free to watch with audio.  Some channels scrambled and not available.  Most of the channels that everyone enjoys are known as subscription channels.  If you watch a subscription channel, there may not be any audio.  In order to activate the audio, you have to punch in a code that is 10 - 20 characters long.

Movies

The BUD Had so many movie channels ranging from Showtime to Cinemax.  There were great movies to watch from Comedy to Horror.  I saw many movies like Bad Dreams, Total Recall, Little Monsters, and more.  I will tell you more movie memories on another page.

A jump scare in an unknown wedding movie, 1989 - 1990

This movie features a wedding ceremony in a church.  In the scene, you will see the bride walk down the aisle.  The camera will pan and show her face which is gory followed by a scram and a jump cut to a man screaming in bed realizing it was a nightmare.  I searched the IMDB and Google and cannot find the title.

Total Recall,1990

I saw this movie for the first time in January / Febuary 1991 on Viewer's Choice Pay Per View (G 3 channel 16).  What grabbed my attention when I was flipping channels one afternoon, was a car chase scene through a tunnel. 

This is the scariest moment in Total Recall

The Implant Lab scene frightened me when I saw it for the first time because of the lights the flashing lights and the sounds of sparking by Quaid's ears during the Implant procedure.  I continued to watch the movie and got frightened again when Benny attempts to grind Quaid with a tunnel mole machine.  A moment later, I said I did not like the move and switched the channel.  Since than, I was afraid to look at the video cover.

Cartoons

One of my favorite cartoon / kids channel I fell in love was Nickelodeon.  I saw cartoons like Heathcliff, Maya The Bee, Loony Tunes, Yogi Bear, and more.  Please keep your ears to the tracks for a special posting for Memories of Nick.

Family Channel



The Family Channel was a great channel that featured cartoons during Fun Town.  Fun Town was a block that is devoted to cartoons including The Super Mario Brothers Super Show, Heroes on Hot Wheels, Captain N, and more. Other great shows that I saw were  Rin Tin Tin, K9 Cop, and Zorro.

Captain N, The Game Master

One of my favorite "Captain N" episodes I looked forward to watching was The Most Dangerous Game Master.  I was inspired to coin the term to get sparked up after watching the Frankenstein like scene.



In the August 1992, The sound to the Family Channel was switched off because the subscription ran out.


In September 1992, The Sci Fi Channel was launched and graced my TV Screen for a year and a half.  There were many great memories from the Cartoon Quest to Classic Monsters Month.  I watched Frankenstein for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment