Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hut! The blinking Red Lights

What Are the Blinking Red Lights?

The Blinking Red Lights are the warning signal at railway crossings and moving bridges.


 The Strachan Ave Railway Crossing (Replaced by bridge)

What Does Hut Mean?  

When I was young I was intrigued with the Blinking Red Lights at railway crossings because the lights flash alternating  and the tolling of the bell.



The Davis Drive Level Crossing in Newmarket, ON


This was the first level crossing that I crossed the most.  At this very crossing, I was introduced to what a train was.  In 1987 - 1988, the gates were installed and this was the first gated crossing I have watched trains at.


The Cherry Street Drawbridge

In 1986 - 1987, My grandfather drove me over this drawbridge.  I was intrigued by the noise you hear when you drive over it.  When the tires hit the grill, you will hear an audible sound.

A few years later, my grandfather told me that bridge was a lift bridge when I questioned about the railway signals.  The Blinking Red Lights will blink when the bridge has to be raised to let boat traffic through.

Hut!

Level Crossing at Rodd Avenue, Pickering, ON


In March, 1988, I was Staying with Lorna and Dan in Pickering.  During the day I like to get out for a walk.  Jennifer and Charlotte took me to Petticoat Creek Conservation Area and than on to the Rouge River.  Every time I crossed these tracks a Train will come.  Sometimes I will hear the bells after entering the crossing and  than Jennifer will tell us to run.  Via and Go Trains use these tracks.  The crossing is still has its original wood planks..

Hut!

Read More great stories about the Blinking Red Lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment