Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Campus Response Team at Georgian College

 A long time ago, before Robert Joy stepped foot on stage at Georgian College Theatre, I was a volunteer in Georgian College's Campus Response Team.  The Campus Response Team was a college St. John Ambulance team that would respond and perform first aid if needed during the school day.  the Campus Response Team was referred as CRT as short.

The Famouse CRT Ceiling in the SAC Office.  When I looked at thise ceiling in September 2002, I wanted to wear the ear piece that the CRT had.

The Campus Response Team members were Identified by their red golf shirts that had the team name on the left breast.  CRT Members also wore a red photo ID badge.  The CRT has a hallway office in the back of the SAC office outside the boardroom.  The first aid bags and Kenwood Radios were stored in a cabnet.  CRT Members will meet and pick up their radios and first aid bags before heading onto shift.

What did CRT Members do during the School day

CRT Members will attend class as usual. They will carry a Kenwood 2-Way radio with them all shift long. If you are in class, and you receive a call, you will slip out of class and see what needs to be done. CRT Members had to take their Level C Standard First Aid including Adult, child, and Infant CPR.  CRT Members also had to do the BTS test.  The BTS was a St. John Ambulance Practical test that tests the first aid skills on every first aid from Emergency Scene Managament to the Secondary Survey.

TLC / Special Events Duties


During the school year, CRT members had optional events in the TLC (The Last Class).  CRT members got to watch concerts and enjoy non-alocholic beverages during the evening while on duty.  You are responsible to respond if something comes up.  My first TLC Duty was XXX Tony Lee Hypnotist.  during that evening there was no problems and I got to enjoy the funny show from the balcony.  I also did a Concert and I was lucky to wear the ear piece for that evening.

The CRT also did other duties like the Orientation Week.  CRT Members were out on duty at various Orientation events on campus. 

What did the Ear Piece look like?

The ear piece had a large ear Push to Talk button that clipped to the belt and it hooked up to a Kenwood radio.  The ear piece itself was larger than an earbud and it felt uncomfortable when you put it in your ear.  When you want to talk, you push the large button and talk.  The microphone was attached to the earpiece and you feel like that you are a secret service agent.  I only got to wear the Ear Piece only once becasue Tamara Jones said the it needed to be cleaned.

What Happened to the CRT

In the spring of 2003, the CRT has disolved into thin air.  Tamama Jones asked me for my CRT shirt and badge which I still have.  I kept the shirt because Tamara Jones skipped town.  In the fall of 2003, the CRT was no longer, I was the last member of the CRT with a red shirt on campus.  I worn the shirt to school on occasion because i loved the shirt.  During that school year, I partook in weekly meetings at the St. John Ambulance, downtown Barrie

9 Years Later




Nin Years before Rober Joy Stepped foot on stage, I was a Member of the CRT (Campus Response Team) at Georgian College

Rober Joy Stepped onstage and I got to give him a hug.  I got to return to Georgian college to volunteer with Theatre by the Bay and Meet Robert Joy for the first time and hug Micheal Rawley.


Keep your Ears to the Tracks for more great volunteer memories.  We will Remember the Campus Response Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment