Friday, October 22, 2010

Classic Horror Movies I love

When Did I get into Horror Movies?

In October, 1993, The Sci Fi Channel had a Classic Monsters Month.  I got interested in the old black and white horror flicks like Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolf Man.  During this month-long Halloween I watched parts of each movie and slowly got interested in horror movies. 

On Christmas, 1993, My Grandfather got me a my first Dracula movie entitled "Love at First Bite."  I put the movie on and watched it through and enjoyed it.  In this film, Count Dracula and Renfied had been forced out of their Transylvainan home by the Rominian Government.



In February of 1994, the Sci Fi Channel held a Boris Karloff week that featured five differnt horror movies like Corridors of Blood, The Invisible Ray, and Frankenstein to close the week.  Frankenstein was the first horror movie I watched fully without getting frightened.  I found that theses older movies more tame than the horror flicks that came out at the current times.  Upon conclusion of the Boris Karloff Week, The Sci Fi Channel was silenced and I would have to pay to get the sound restored to the channel.

Horror Movies, I Rented at Jumbo Video or Watched.

Dracula, 1931

In November 1994, My grandfather rented Dracula, 1931 and I watched it through without getting afraid.  Once I watched this movie through, I enjoyed this movie.  My favorite scenes in this movie are the close up shots of Dracula's face.



Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (AKA Flesh for Frankenstein)



On December 3, 1994, I picked up Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (Flesh for Frankenstein) from the horror section of Jumbo Video.  Once I poped the video in, I watched the film intermitently.  20 minutes into the movie, my grandfather stopped the movie and told me that this movie was an adult film because it contained sexual content.  At the time I wanted to look at it, I did not realize it contained adult material. 




The Bride of Frankenstein
On December 11, 1994, I picked up Bride of Frankenstein from the Horror Section of Jumbo Video.  This horror movie was the third horror movie I have watched through without getting scared.  This movie was featured during the Frankenstein week of Classic Monsters Month of 1993. 



Count Dracula 1970On December 18, 1994 I picked up Count Dracula from the Horror Section at Jumbo Video.  This was the first colour horror flick I rented from the horror section.  I watched this movie through and I got afraid once.  I wanted to watch it again after it went back to the store.  My favorite moment was when Van Helsing was driving a stake through one of the brides of Dracula and he gets sprayed with blood.





Frankenstein, 1931
On December 24, 1994, I got Frankenstein from the Horror Section in Jumbo Video.  This was the fifth horror flick I rented from the horror section.  I have watched it once before when it was aired during Boris Karloff week.  I had the movie until Boxing day because the video store was closed on Christmas Day.  When this movie went back, I did not rent any more horror flicks.



Bram Stoker's Dracula, 1992

In February, 1994, I got Bram Stoker's Dracula as a late Christmas gift.  I bugged my grandfather to get me this movie.  He said that I will not be getting it this year.  When I visited Alama, I got my belated Christmas gifts and I finally got what I wanted.  I watched parts of the movie each day before school and there were a few moments that frightened me.  When I got frightened, I stopped the movie and watched more of it the next day.  Once I watched it through once, my favorite moment was Driving the stake through Lucy's Heart. 

When I got this video, I took the video cover to school and my teachers told me it was unsuitable for the classroom.  My teacher took it away for a day and held it under the tape dispencer overnight and I got it back the next day.

Lady Frankenstein

In February 1994, I watched Lady Frankenstien on an adult channel.  This channel played Troma movies and more.  When I discovered that this was a Frankenstein movie, I popped a VHS into the VCR and Recorded it through.  I watched this movie intermittently until I had to go to bed.  The next day, I scanned through the movie and watched parts of the movie that interested me. 

Conclusion 

I started to enjoy horror movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolf Man because they are the classics.  I was introudced to the Classic Horror Genre in 1993 when my Grandfather watched the classic horror movies on the Sci Fi Channel.  Aftr the silencing of the Sci Fi Channel, I had a long spell without watching Dracula until  November 1994 and than rented a few horror movies from Jumbo Video.  After a few video store rentals, I had another long spell of not watching my favorite movies until 1997 when I got cable TV with some channels that showed scary movies.

Keep your ears to the tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment