Monday, September 6, 2010

Freaky Stuff on the Radio

Why is the radio scary?

Radio Ads
Lung Association ad 1993 - 1994

In 1994, there was a radio ad on 1050 Chum that gave me a scare.  It was an anti smoking ad posted by the Lung Assocition.  While I was half asleep and the ad started, my stomach cringed because of the scary sounds and there was a heart monitor beeping in the background and it ends with a flatline.  At the end of the radio ad, they say "Support the Lung Association."

Freaky Music


What was scary about electronic music?  Some electronic music tracks have scary sounds and effects that may warp your mind while half asleep.  The most common one is the Time Stretch.  The Time Stretch, makes the voice or sound effect pretty freaky because of the spaces within the sound.  It sounds like someone talking into a fan.

Here is a list of some tracks with a scary Time Strectch effect.

Surgar is Sweeter, CJ Bolland

Higher State of Consciousnes -- Josh Wink



Spin Spin Sugar -- Sneaker Pimps (1997)



There is a scary Time Stretch in this track.  When I heard this track for the first time, I got freaked out.  The words Spin Spin Sugar is heard in the time stretch.


I Can't Help Myself -- Lucid



You can listen to this freaky time strectch.  The Stretch begins at 5:27.

Insomnia -- Faithless



This track features time stretching through out the entire track.  The words that can be heard in the time stretch is "I cannot get any sleep".  There are some other scary time stretched in the track.

The Way, Shadow VIP Mix -- DJ Taticx Featuring Top Buzz

I heard this track and had my first exposure to the scary vocal time stretch.  While I was laying in bed with the radio on, I feel my stomach turn at the start of the time stretch. 

I will add more freaky Time Streching songs soon as I find them.  Keep your Ears to the Tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment